It's official: The location and date of next year's Daguerreian Society Symposium will be Houston from October 17-19.
The following details were shared at the Board of Directors' latest meeting in late November.
- Our host institution will be the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. The Museum’s photography collection comprises more than 35,000 items spanning the full history of the medium. Its strengths include American photography, with extensive holdings of civil-rights photography, Texas photography, and the Photo League; avant-garde photography between the two World Wars; photojournalism; 19th-century European photography; and Japanese photography. (Below, an untitled stereo daguerreotype by Antoine Claudet in the collection.)
- The hotel will be the InterContinental Houston. Located at 6750 Main Street, this modern, AAA Four Diamond Award hotel is close to Houston's Museum District, the renowned Rice University, NRG stadium and the downtown. The room rate is expected to be $165 a night.
- The distance from the hotel to the MFA, where Thursday's opening reception and Friday's talks will be held, is 1.8 miles. That's an eight-minute cab ride, 12-20 minutes by bus, and a 35-minute walk, partially along Hermann Park. See map.
- We have some parties who are interested in serving as sponsors. If others are interested in sponsorship opportunities, please contact Diane Filippi at email@example.com.
- A special exhibition on contemporary daguerreotypes is planned at the hotel.
Stay tuned for further details!